40 Tools and Resources for Green Filmmaking
LOCAL GREEN FILMMAKING:
THE CALIFORNIA FILM COMMISSION’S GREEN RESOURCE GUIDE: A handy list for any production regardless of budget, including places to recycle your tape stock and other filming materials.www.film.ca.gov/GreenFilmmaking.htm
THE SAN ANTONIO FILM COMMISSION: A guide to filmmaking with a low-impact carbon footprint.www.visitsanantonio.com/film/permits-and-procedures/low-impact-filmmaking/index.aspx
Film New Mexico Green Filming Program This website provides many resources for productions wishing to film in New Mexico, including a green filmmaking guide, and outlines incentives for filming in the state that benefit environmentally sensitive productions.
EMA Make Your Production Green A guide from the Environmental Media Association listing environmentally friendly resources for banners and signage, invitations, catering, plant rentals, and more.
UK FIlm Council Environmental Strategy The UK Film Council has recently announced plans to make London the greenest place to film. While the program does not appear to be in full swing just yet, this page outlines their overall strategy and links to a guide for greener filming.
Boulder, Colorado Green Filming Resource Guide A guide from Boulder, Colorado about green filming in the area.
ENVIRONMENTAL FILM FESTIVALS AND CONTESTS:
- Colorado Environmental Film Festival: www.ceff.net
- Eco-Comedy Video Competition: www.youtube.com/ecocomedy2012
- Environmental Film Festival (DC): www.dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org
- Environmental Film Festival at Yale: environment.yale.edu/film/
- Hazel Wolf Environmental Film Festival: www.hazelfilm.org
- Ithaca College Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival: www.ithaca.edu/fleff/
- Princeton Environmental Film Festival: www.princetonlibrary.org/explore/movies-and-music/environmental-film-festival
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival: www.wildandscenicfilmfestival.org/
WORKSHOPS AND GUIDES:
GREEN FILMMAKING WORKSHOPS, VIDEOS AND COMPETITION:www.greenfilmmaking.com/greenfilmmaking/
GREEN MEDIA SOLUTIONS: Reports on sustainable film production practices and entertainment company initiatives. greenmediasolutions.com/tools-and-resources
GREENING FILM: The UK film industry’s guide to cutting down CO2 emissions for filmmakers.www.greeningfilm.com/
GREENSHOOT: Tips, stories, and consulting for adding sustainability a production. www.greenshoot.com/
SONY’S ROAD TO ZERO ENVIRONMENTAL DEVELOPMENTS:www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr/SonyEnvironment/products/climate/digital_cinema.html
THE WILD CLASSROOM: A gear guide and more for shooting your next environmental project.www.thewildclassroom.com/wildfilmschool/gearguide/index.html
BLOGS AND NEWS:
ECORAZZI: A guide to Hollywood’s green initiatives among actors and filmmakers.www.ecorazzi.com/category/causes/environment/
FILM SCHOOL REJECTS: Find inspiration with these articles about notable environmental movies.www.filmschoolrejects.com/tag/earth-day
GOING SOLAR: You can use solar power to fuel a film, too – even if it’s “Inception” or the “Avatar” sequels.www.forbes.com/2010/07/27/leonardo-dicaprio-solar-technology-inception.html andwww.greenmuze.com/reviews/news/3948-solar-powered-avatar.html
GREEN MEDIA SOLUTION: Workshop and consulting for green film production. greenmediasolutions.com/
LEONARDO DI CAPRIO: The actor and environmentalist’s foundation and campaigns for a sustainable future within and beyond the entertainment industry. www.leonardodicaprio.com/
LIVING WITH ED: Academy Governor Ed Begley Jr.’s show dedicated to the newest innovations and lifestyle methods for going green. livingwithed.net/
SIERRA CLUB’S THE GREEN LIFE: Weekly spotlights on new environmental trends in entertainment.sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/
UCLA INSTITUTE OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY: A study on the environmental impact of filmmaking. www.environment.ucla.edu/reportcard/article.asp?parentid=1361
Film Biz Recycling (FBR) is a not-for-profit organization, creating socially responsible and sustainable solutions from media industry waste. Provides the entertainment industry with an accessible, production-friendly space to receive material donations.
ECO FILMMAKING APPS
- Adobe Story (FREE!): This is a very slick production tool for screenwriting and script breakdown. It exists online only, and allows for numerous collaborators to work on it in realtime.
- Google Docs (FREE!): You can import a script into Google Docs and like Adobe Story, collaborate with others in realtime. This is also great if you need to collaborate on other documents like budget and callsheets.
- Callsheet. One thing you’ll notice when working on a set is that 90% of the cast and crew has an iPhone, and the other 10% has a very web-capable mobile. There isn’t much reason to print out a hundred callsheets every
- Storyboard . Easily create professional looking storyboards and scroll through them on set with your talent and crew. Export to PDF and email
- Movie Slate. Save paper by using this app as your slate…since it logs every shot and can email it to your editor, director, media manager, etc
- Clip Sketch . Draw overhead diagrams of your set to easily convey lights/grip/camera/ positions to the crew. Display on your iPad or email to your Key Grip/Gaffer
- Easy Release. Probably the only thing I would think a production would never be able to do electronically…get your release forms created AND signed. Allows you to embed a picture too. Store the files on your media drives for backup instead of printing
- Office HD. Allows for office documents to be viewed/edited.
Unified Manufacturing is an L.A. -based one-stop-shop that offers very affordable CD/DVD/USB replication, custom printing, promotional products, warehousing and fulfillment and many more. If you need an Instant Quote on a project and you want FREE SHIPPING, simply CLICK HERE.